Life in Points
- It's snowing! We have about 3 in/7.5 cm on the ground right now. Now, before my cold-climate friends start pointing and laughing, you must understand that in Maryland, driving in any sort of weather that involves stuff coming out of clouds is a big deal. I mean, people drive like shit around here in the sunshine. Add snow and ice and cell phones and big SUVs and bigger senses of entitlement tend to make a mess.
They're also calling for ice before morning, and in that event, I'm not going to work. Which should let me catch up on even more stuff.
- Football. Well, the Saints lost to the Bears, and the Saints were my Super Bowl hopefuls after the Ravens. Bah. However, Indianapolis just beat New England in the final minute of the game. Yep, I'm a Bal'more girl...and I rooted for the Colts. I'll probably root for them next week too. I simply can't hold a grudge over something that happened before I was born. Also, I'm tired of seeing New England winning the Super Bowl. They have more shiny now then Feanor; they don't need anymore. (Sorry, N'England fans....)
But, in cool football news, this is the first time in NFL history that an African American head coach has made it to the Super Bowl...and both teams have African American head coaches! So this will also be the first year that an African American head coach wins the Super Bowl as well. Cool.
Now maybe the first woman president in 2008? *hopeful grin*
- In the fishtank, Finwe the cichlid died. I found his partially eaten body at the bottom of the tank on Friday. I told Bobby, since he is sort of the official dead-fish scooper. Then, I was watching the fish, and I saw Maedhros the catfish swim to the bottom of the tank...and Maedhros was the one eating Finwe! I said, "Maedhros, that is your grandfather!" though that didn't seem to move him much. Finwe was gone by the time Bobby got around to scooping him out. I guess that's the risk you run, naming pets after book characters.
- I joined Critters! Tomorrow, I will start on my first critique and, soon, I will offer a story to be ripped apart. It's been so long since I've participated in a workshop, and I only hope that Critters will prove better than my workshops in university, when I used to spend hours on critiques to get back a pile of my stories with nothing but "I liked it!" Now, I'm glad that they liked it, but I know that my writing needs a lot of work, and I'd like to have some help in finding what I need to...umm, work on? I think--hope--that these people will be a little harder sell.
- School. Nrgh. The administrator of the second bachelor's program forgot to tell Bobby and me that we could register for classes as soon as we were accepted into the program. Needless to say, all of the classes are filled up, so it looks like we'll be doing some more core courses at Howard this semester. Bobby will probably try to take Chemistry 102 again (and hope that his professor doesn't get arrested halfway through the semester this time!) and we're also trying to take Calculus together. We've both had Calculus already, ten years ago, in high school, so that should be easy, but we need it for the major.
Still, I'm annoyed with the admin. This is after waiting a month for Bobby's acceptance letter because they kept sending it to his old address, from when he was a student there, rather than to the address on his application. Wow. All of this and we receive next-to-no information, including when we can register for classes. Boo.
- Oh, Geek Alert! We are doing History of Middle-earth readings on Silmarillion Writer's Guild (silwritersguild on LJ) and the Henneth-Annun Yahoo list. It'll be somewhat slow going since I'm working on my own research while compiling the summaries, but it's also a good way for those of you who have always wanted to read the HoMe to do so. (The essays/chapters that we discuss are also available on both Yahoo groups to members.)